Summer has finally arrived and its the season to make some cold brew coffee.
What is cold brewing?
“Cold brewing is the process of steeping coffee grounds in cold or room temperature water for a long period of time to slowly extract the flavor of the bean. This results in a smooth, highly-concentrated coffee perfect for pouring over ice or blending in Frappuccino-type drinks.”
Now that you know what is cold brewing, are you ready to beat the summer heat? Let’s start cold brewing.
Do you know that the best way for you to have a full stock of iced coffee this summer is by cold brewing the beans in bulk and then storing your brew for when the craving strikes?
Here’s How to Do It
1. Buy a coffee bean that was locally roasted because freshly roast coffee beans are the best to make cold brew coffee. The fresher the bean, the better the coffee.
2. Start with a ratio of ½ cup coarsely ground, medium roast coffee beans to 1 ½ cups filtered water (or any 3:1 ratio of water to grounds will work).
3. Pour your grounds and water into a large glass jar. Stir with a plastic or wooden spoon (metal can affect the taste of the coffee). Cover and let steep for 24 hours at room temp. After the 24 hours, you can either drink the coffee as-is or you can move it to the fridge and let steep for another 24-48 hours for a stronger tasting coffee.
4. Once your coffee has reached the desired strength, use cheesecloth, a fine mesh sieve, or a paper filter to separate the grounds from the coffee concentrate.
5. Store your coffee in the refrigerator for up to a week. After that, the coffee starts to break down and the flavor degrades.
Do I really need to wait for 24hrs? The answer is Yes!Patience is a virtue here people! That is the art of cold brewing, the longer the steep the better the taste. You can make a large amount of cold brew coffee and store it in your fridge until you’re ready to drink it.
If you feel that the coffee is too strong for your liking you can add water to it and make a weaker brew or simply dress it up with the cream/milk/sweetener of your choosing.
because this cold brew coffee has a higher amount of caffeine punch making it perfect for Frappuccino, Mocha, Late, Energizer and Infused coffee.
Cold brewing is a lot better than traditional brewing because it has less acidity which is good for people with acid reflux, more flavor – the longer the brew the tastier the flavor and stay fresh longer – When coffee is heated and then cooled, the chemistry changes and the compound 2-furfurylthiiol — which contributes to that amazing coffee smell — degrades as it cools off. Since the chemical structure of cold brew coffee doesn’t change, it should taste the same a week from now as it does today.
Enjoy this refreshing cold brew coffee perfect for the summer!