Ask a Canadian their signature dessert and you’ll get many nods to the Nanaimo Bar. Invented in Nanaimo, British Columbia, these bars are heavenly, creamy, and full of chocolatey goodness. There’s nothing quite like the custard cream and coconut complementing each other like two best friends who’ve known each other their entire lives.
Bring these bars to your next pot luck or share with your friends over your favorite mug of coffee.
(The walnuts are optional and feel free to adjust the recipe based on your dietary restrictions.)
Prep time: 30 min
Chill time: 4 hrs
Servings: Depends on big you like your squares; 10-30
- 6 oz. Semi-Sweet Chocolate, divided
- 3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. butter, softened, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups graham crumbs
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp. Custard Powder
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Microwave 2 oz. chocolate and 1/2 cup butter in large microwaveable bowl on MEDIUM 2 min. or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Blend in egg and vanilla. Stir in graham crumbs, coconut and nuts. Press onto bottom of 9-inch square pan. Bake 8 min.; cool completely.
- Mix custard powder and milk in a medium bowl with whisk until blended. Add 1/4 cup of the remaining butter; mix well. Gradually beat in sugar until blended. Spread onto crust. Refrigerate 15 min.
- Microwave remaining chocolate and butter in microwaveable bowl 2 to 3 min. or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Spread over the custard layer. Refrigerate several hours or until chilled before cutting into bars.
Make Them Mocha
Blend 3 Tbsp. coffee-flavored liqueur with 2 tsp. instant coffee granules. Substitute this for the 3 Tbsp. milk used to prepare the custard layer.
Let us know how your creations turn out!